We here at HavenCon want all of our attendees to have an enjoyable experience. We work hard to bring together a HUGE spectrum of people. In order for us to do that successfully, we must have rules. Those rules have been updated from year to year and this year is no exception. Of note, please see the Weapons Policy and the Panels and Presentations policy.
We look forward to seeing you all soon and we hope these rules help you feel more comfortable while at HavenCon.
General Rules and Guidelines
1. Treat the Hotel and HavenCon Staff with respect, they are here to assist you.
2. HavenCon Staff, Guests and Attendees may not engage in any activities that are prohibited by law.
3. HavenCon Staff, Guests and Attendees may not be in possession of any item defined as a weapon, illegal or otherwise. (See Weapons Policy below for more details)
4. HavenCon Staff, Guests and Attendees may not bring any animals onto the premises, with the exception of licensed ADA Working Animals. These will need to be disclosed and licenses checked at Registration.
5. Badges and or wristbands must be worn visibly at all times. If you are in a costume that may prohibit this, HavenCon staff will work with you to accommodate this within reason.
6. Shoes must be worn at all times.
7. No sleeping is allowed in any HavenCon area or hotel common areas, at any time.
8. Alcohol may be consumed on premises with a valid ID to be checked by hotel staff.
9. Outside food and drink are not allowed. Any food or drink purchased at HavenCon are not allowed in any event spaces unless otherwise noted during after hours.
10. Usage or possession of illegal drugs on HavenCon grounds is strictly forbidden — this is a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY.
11. Harassment of any type is forbidden (see Harassment Policy for more details) — this is a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY.
12. Badges and wristbands must be purchased in order to access HavenCon.
13. If you do not have a badge and/or accompanying wristband you will be asked to leave until you purchase one.
14. Advertisements and littering. HavenCon will provide a table at the convention for other organizations or individuals to place fliers, cards, or other advertisement materials. Please do not roam the convention floor passing out unsolicited materials to individuals. This can be disruptive and makes for a bad time for our attendees. Also, our sponsors, vendors and other organizations have paid valuable money to be represented at the convention and it is unfair to them (and to HavenCon) that you receive free advertisement based on the hard work of an amazing group of people. Don’t be “that person”. Also, many times these items are just left lying around it causes an unsightly mess throughout the venue. If you would like to know where to place these items, please see a HavenCon staff member.
1. HavenCon is a JUDGEMENT FREE ZONE. We have a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY for those that wish to criticize ANY fellow geek or gamer in a negative way. If you find yourself a recipient of any form of judgment, please notify a staff member. 1st complaint is a warning and 2nd will result in immediate removal from HavenCon without refund.
2. HavenCon is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable experience. HavenCon will not tolerate inappropriate behavior of any kind, including but not limited to harassment because of age, disability, marital status, race or color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity. Harassment of any kind, including physical assault, battery, deliberate intimidation, stalking, or unwelcome physical attention, or HATE SPEECH will not be tolerated and is grounds for immediate removal without refund.
3. Anyone who feels their experience is being compromised due to unacceptable or questionable behavior is encouraged to speak with HavenCon staff immediately. Personally confronting the aggressor or posting on social media is not advisable. We are here to help you.
4. Any threatening behavior with the intent to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment or embarrass another is unacceptable and grounds for removal without refund. If unacceptable behavior continues after being escorted out local authorities will be contacted. Austin Police Department will have a presence at HavenCon, and we will work closely with them to ensure everyone’s safety.
5. HavenCon is not responsible for solving any interpersonal problems that may arise. We can take no action to prevent a person from attending HavenCon unless that person has made a specific and credible threat toward HavenCon itself or if another individual can produce a legal restraining order.
1. All prop weapons must be approved and peace bonded at the Weapons Check booth located next to registration. If your prop does not pass inspection, you will be asked to take it back to your car or hotel room before entering the show.
2. NO GUNS: this includes actual guns, Nerf, air soft, paintball guns, squirt guns, silly-string guns, BB guns, pellet guns, ping-pong pistols or anything else that is or looks like a real gun. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but we at HavenCon do not feel it appropriate to allow any gun-type props into our Haven.
3. No Projectiles: All projectile props and weapons must be inoperable.
Swords/daggers/knives:No real swords, daggers, knives, star knives, bayonets, or shuriken (made of metal or ceramic) allowed.
4. Swords/daggers/knives made of plastic or wood are perfectly fine as long as they are not sharp!
No heavy blunt objects. Anything that can be used to “bludgeon” is off limits. Nerf/foam and other soft materials are acceptable.
5. Bows:No professional or compound bows allowed. Toy or dummy bows made of wood or plastic can be permitted as long as they are inoperable. Real arrows must have the tip removed and peace bonded to a quiver.
6. Any weapons may be disallowed at any time at the discretion of con staff. If you are misbehaving with your prop and/or otherwise causing harm or risk of harm to others, we will kindly ask you to leave.
We know a lot of you have put a lot of time and effort into your cosplay props, and we are sorry if this effects you, however, we want to assure everyone has a safe and hassle free event.
Panels and Presentations
HavenCon strives to create an environment for open conversation on a wide range of topics.
Panelists and other presenters are able to discuss the things they are passionate about in a safe and friendly space.
We select content that we feel is both entertaining and educational and will never purposefully accommodate those we deem to go against what we are for at HavenCon.
With this in mind, panelists are allowed to run their panels and discussions in the manner they feel works best for them. Because we are all diverse people with our own experiences it should be known:
1. Each discussion is a learning opportunity for everyone involved.
2. Sometimes things are said you may not like, you should discuss this with the person that has said it in a open and constructive manner.
3. HavenCon will not act upon differing views stated in each panel unless it directly threatens the safety of attendees (hate speech, threats or acts of violence, etc).
4. Panelists are allowed to present what they like, however, like the real world, they do also have to answer to their audience. We ask that both sides keep it civil and engage in rational discourse vs argument. Again, these are all learning opportunities.
Events and Autographs Lines
1. Keep lines single-file and stay close to the wall/barricades. Listen to HaveCon staff for proper line-up instructions.
2. No cutting — be courteous to others.
3. Don’t argue with the Staff if they attempt to correct you. They are simply trying to help everyone get to the event.
4. Keep in mind that the Staff is not yelling at you, but they have to speak loudly enough for the entire line to hear.
5. Please fill seats as completely as possible — Try not to leave empty spaces.
6. Any event-specific rules will be announced at the start of the individual event. Please listen while they are being announced.
Dance and After Hours Events
1. The HavenCon after hours events and panels are for those ages 18+ only
2. Table top and Video Gaming Lounges will be open to all ages, however, minors must be accompanied by an adult during after hours.
3. Security will not watch or hold bags or items for you — please leave them in your room/car.
4. Security may initiate a bag or pocket check for contraband.
5. Shoes must be worn at all times.
6. Alcohol may be consumed in hotel common areas by those of legal drinking age. All beverages are prohibited in event spaces unless otherwise noted, only beverages purchased on site will be allowed in these cases.
7. No fighting (or dance fighting).
8. If you have a history of seizures, asthma or heart attack, please AVOID the afterhours dance. The heat and flashing lights may trigger attacks.
9. No means no — Harassment will not be tolerated. If you are being harassed in any way, please bring it to the attention of Security.
10. Any solicitation of alcohol or drugs will result in immediate expulsion from the Con (without refund) — local authorities will be contacted.
HavenCon Badges and Bands
1. HavenCon is able to provide a limited number of badges. These badges are guaranteed to: Indiegogo contributors, Early Bird registrants, and those who registered online. There will be some badges the day of, however day of entrants are not guaranteed one. All attendees will receive a wristband. This wristband must stay on during your entire visit. If you lose this band you will need to purchase a new one.
2. Anyone picking up a pre-registration badge must have legal ID and a proof of purchase. HavenCon Staff is aware that not all names are “legal” names. We do not require extensive explanation, and we will be sensitive to these situations. But for security purposes, we will need to verify your identity.
3. ALL badges/wristbands are non-transferable and the staff may request ID at any time that they believe someone may be carrying someone else’s badge.
4. All badges must be worn visibly at all times within the HavenCon areas.
5. HavenCon is not liable for any lost badges. If your badge is lost, please check with lost and found.
6. HavenCon badges/wristbands are required for entry to all HavenCon events — no exceptions.
7. Anyone caught “borrowing” a badge will be removed from the Con, as will the person who “loaned” you their badge. Borrowing or loaning badges is STEALING — let’s all support HavenCon the correct way and enjoy it together.
Your registration is an agreement to these rules. Those caught violating these rules can and may be removed from the event space without refund.
These rules are subject to change at the discretion of HavenCon management.
Any updates will be immediately posted to Facebook, Twitter, and to HavenConTx.com